We love soup in our home. Why? Well, it’s Wisconsin and we like food that makes our bellies warm. Living in Wisconsin also means that our ‘soup season’ is about 6 months out of the year.
Poking around Pinterest (where approx. 90% of my life skills come from) I stumbled on a quick and easy recipe for some cheesy broccoli soup and with a little tweaking it has now become a staple in our home and our go to dish for when we want a warm dinner but don’t want to actually spend too much time cooking (so we make this a lot).
I can no longer locate the original recipe that I used, but here is our family’s version for Cheesy Broccoli Soup:
- 2 TBSP butter
- 5 cups Chicken Broth
- 4 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Melt the butter in a large skillet, add the chopped carrot. Cook the chopped carrot for 5-7 minutes, stirring a lot.
- Add the flour, stirring it constantly until it turns a blond color (approx. 1 minute)
- Add the chicken broth, bring it to a boil
- Add the chopped broccoli, simmer for 15 minutes or until broccoli is soft – stir a little bit
- Stir in the milk
- Slowly stir in the cheese, adding it a little bit at a time and waiting until it is melted to add more – stir constantly
That’s it – eat up and enjoy!
In case you want a nutritional breakdown – here it is! Please note that our home uses whole milk, real butter, and full fat everything. We prefer to use less processed and more natural foods as opposed to modified foods that have had stuff removed and chemicals added. If you use low-fat or fat-free anything it will change the nutritional values. The values you see to the left indicate 6 servings, each serving being just over a cup (the pictures show one serving).
It takes about 10 minutes for one person to chop everything up, and about 25 minutes for everything to cook. One skillet means easy clean-up (yeay!) and once you make this once you can throw this together without even thinking about it.